Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Review: Bethany Bennett's "Good Duke Gone Wild"

 

GOOD DUKE GONE WILD
Historical Romance

 

 

AUTHOR:
Bethany Bennett

RELEASE DATE:
August 20, 2024

PUBLISHER:
Forever (Grand Central Publishing)

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9781538740484

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://bethanybennettauthor.com/

 

 

Dorian Whitaker, the Duke of Holland, knows he needs to remarry and sire an heir. He has been interested in Miss Danvers for two years. However, she is not Duchess material. Dorian asks Caroline to help dispense his late wife’s library, only to discover solid proof of the woman’s infidelity. Caro not only helps him come to grips with the affair but helps Dorian move past it. Will the difference in their social status stand between Dorian and Caroline? Or will something else keep the two apart?

Miss Caroline “Caro” Danvers is the disowned daughter of a vicar. She writes erotic novels under a pseudonym while working at her uncle’s bookstore. When the Duke of Holland asks for help with his late wife’s library, Caro readily agrees. She discovers the late Duchess’s secret hidden within a few of the books. Caro decides to help Dorian with the mystery behind his late wife’s affair. Things heat up between them, but she knows nothing can come of their relationship. Will Caro reveal her non de plume to Dorian?

Dorian is beyond perfect. He is a man tormented by the failure of his first marriage. I like how the author shows Dorian’s vulnerability when it comes to his wife’s infidelity. I like how he did not place all the blame on her. Dorian knew he was partly responsible for her straying. What I adore the most about Dorian is his acceptance and handling of Gerard. In that era, same sex pairings were taboo. Dorian did not allow Gerard’s preference to color his opinion of the man’s talents.

Caro is a strong and independent woman. She proves that she does not need a man to thrive, just hard work, talent, and determination. I like how Caroline treats Dorian as a person. She is not interested in his title or wealth. Plus, Caro is not afraid to take him to task for his priggish nature. I do have one nitpick about her. I understand Caroline’s refusal to give up her writing career for Dorian. I applaud her for being steadfast about it. However, it feels like she expected Dorian to do all the compromising and changing. That did not sit well with me.

GOOD DUKE GONE WILD is book one in Bethany Bennett’s historical romance series, BLUESTOCKING BOOKSELLERS. I am new to this author’s works. The name of the series is what first piqued my interest. The synopsis made me hit the request button on Netgalley. It sounded like a story I would immensely enjoy. And the book did not disappoint! What I loved the most about the book was the side characters Leo and Gerard. I would be interested in reading their story (if Ms Bennet wrote it or considered writing it).

I will be on the lookout for further installments of this series. I hope the author plans to pair Constance with Oliver. Their interactions made me laugh. I could not help but feel they belonged together.


No comments: