Friday, October 2, 2026

Review for Sherrilyn Kenyon's "THE OUTSIDER"

 

THE OUTSIDER
Historical Romance

 

 

AUTHOR:
Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor

RELEASE DATE:
October 13, 2026

PUBLISHER:
Oliver Heber Books

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
B0HJMGHQS2

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/

 

 

Christian of Acre is known amongst the Brotherhood of the Sword as the Abbott. He has no desire to claim his birthright or his betrothed – until the choice is taken from him. A beautiful, naked stranger appears in his room and claims to be his wife. When assassins strike, Christian has no other option but to help her. He tries to resist Adara’s charms, but something about the woman soothes his traumatized soul.

Adara is the queen of a small nation. She refuses to yield to a power-hungry usurper determined to seize her throne. To protect her people, Adara must quickly find her husband and consummate their marriage. She is dismayed to discover that Christian has no interest in claiming his rightful place as king. When they are besieged by assassins, Adara hopes to persuade him to reconsider. Or give her an heir.

Christian is a tormented soul, haunted by his time in a Saracen prison. I admire how he offers the dying comfort and last rites despite his wavering faith. That must have draining consequences on a young teenager’s mind. I also like how Christian takes his duties within the Brotherhood of the Sword seriously. He knows the personal toll it will take, and yet, he remains committed in helping each rescued soul the Brotherhood finds.

I am still unsure how to feel or think about Adara. I like that she first thinks of her people before worrying about herself. Normally, monarchs see their people as expendable pawns. I also like how steadfast Adara kept to their marriage. However, she seemed to idealize what a husband should be, and she tried to impose that on Christian.

THE OUTSIDER is the sixth book in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s historical romance series, A BROTHERHOOD OF THE SWORD (fifth book in MACALLISTER series). Originally released in 2005 by Avon as RETURN OF THE WARRIOR under the author’s other alias, Kinley MacGregor. Sherrilyn has re-published the series (all except one novella) with different covers and titles.

I first read this story when it was released in 2005 and have not revisited it until now. I remembered some scenes and characters, others not so much. It was wonderful to return to a beloved series from my younger years. I do have one question for the author. Is she considering writing more books in this series? Please, please say yes. There are many side characters, members of the Brotherhood especially, I would like to see get a happily ever after. Corryn is one of them. She is so spunky and fun!


No comments: