Monday, May 13, 2024

REVIEW: Sofie Darling's WAGER WITH A SIREN

 

WAGER WITH A SIREN
Historical Romance

 


AUTHOR:
Sofie Darling

RELEASE DATE:
June 04, 2024

PUBLISHER:
Oliver Heber Books

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9781714843788

RATING:
5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://sofiedarling.com/

 

 

Julian Batchelor, Marquess of Ormonde, is the ton’s golden boy. His affable demeanor is but a façade to hide his true nature. When his racehorse receives poor odds, Julian confronts the oddsmaker at a certain gaming establishment. The oddsmaker turns out to be Lady Tessa. Julian finds himself making a brazen wager with the woman. Will Julian want more than just one night? Or will Tessa awaken more than what he bargained for?

Lady Tessa Calthorp is the eldest sister to a newly elevated duke. She also co-owns a popular gaming establishment that caters only to aristocrats. Tessa is accustomed to dealing with spoiled and pompous noblemen. However, Julian proves to be different. Tessa finds herself locked in a daring wager with him. Can Tessa change Julian’s flawed views on love? Or will he bring her heartache?

Julian tugged at my heart. I never could resist the wounded/tortured types. Julian is haunted by his family tragedy. However, he never shows his peers or the world that wounded, dark side. Instead, Julian presents a façade of an approachable and genial man. What I love the most about Julian is his acceptance of Tessa’s individuality. He likes that she does not behave or dress like other noblewomen.

Tessa is a woman after my own heart! She does not conform to what men and the public view as a woman’s place. Tessa does what she wants when she wants. She also dresses the way she wants without any concern on what others think. What I admire the most about Tessa is how she deals with noblemen. She does not tolerate their temper tantrums. Tessa does not hold back her opinions and thoughts.

WAGER WITH A SIREN is the third book in Sofie Darling’s historical romance series, ALL’S FAIR IN LOVE AND RACING. This is my first foray into this author’s works.I remember eyeing ODDS ON THE RAKE (the first book) last year. However, at the time, my review queue was full. Now I wish I slid it in.

I found myself absorbed in the plot and characters. I made extra time (by not watching my Chinese dramas) just so I could read more. I did NOT want to put this book down. I cannot wait for future installments. Also, I plan to look for the previous two books, so I can read at my leisure.


No comments: