Monday, October 14, 2024

Review: Christy Carlyle's "THE DUKE AND LADY SCANDAL"

 

THE DUKE AND LADY SCANDAL
Historical Romance

 


AUTHOR:
Christy Carlyle

RELEASE DATE:
April 01, 2025

PUBLISHER:
Avon and Harper Voyager

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9780063347342

RATING:
4.75

AUTHOR LINK:
https://christycarlyle.com/

 

 

Alexandra “Allie” Prince manages her family-owned antique shop. She yearns to follow in her illustrious family’s footsteps by going on adventures. Allie overhears a plot to steal the Crown Jewels and rushes to tell the authorities. She is delighted when the handsome and gruff detective takes her seriously. Allie decides to assist him with the case. Can she help Benedict catch the culprit? Or will Allie’s impulsiveness hinder the case?

Benedict “Duke” Drake aims to advance high in Scotland Yard. He exhausts himself in trying to catch the illusive criminal “M” without success. When a woman comes to his office about a possible scheme to steal the royal jewels, Benedict must take her seriously. Alexandra Prince is a distraction he does not need in his life. However, Benedict cannot seem to stay away from her. Will Allie derail his plans for advancement?

Alexandra is a young woman living beneath her famous family’s shadow. I understand her frustration of not measuring up to her parents and siblings’ accomplishments. It would weigh on anyone’s mind. I especially like how Allie did not allow that to turn her cynical or jaded. Instead, she thought of ways to stand out on her own merits and achievements.

Benedict is a career-oriented young man. He tends to be obsessed and single-minded when a case falls into his hands. I understand Benedict’s drive to advance. His childhood, plus what happened to his brother, prompted him to his path. What I adore the most about Benedict is how he accepts Allie’s impulsive, straightforward nature. He even admires it since she differs from his seriousness. Benedict listens to everything she says unlike her older siblings.

THE DUKE AND LADY SCANDAL is the first book in Christy Carylyle’s historical romance series, PRINCES OF LONDON. I am new to this author’s works. The premise of the story is what caught my interest. And it did NOT disappoint. I found myself instantly swept up in the characters and the plot. I finished this book in two sittings, even forgoing sleep and watching my C-dramas.

There is one detail that kept me from giving this book a five-star rating. Small little nitpick really. In the story, the author brought up Benedict’s mysterious, titled father. Then nothing. The angle was never explored. Unless, of course, the author plans to save this angle for upcoming books. Then I am cool with it. I already plan on continuing this story! I wonder which sibling Dom and Eve or Helen.


No comments: