Tuesday, October 1, 2024

Review: Donna Grant's THE BASTARD KING

 

THE BASTARD KING
Fantasy Romance.

 

AUTHOR:
Donna Grant

RELEASE DATE:
October 14, 2024

PUBLISHER:
DL Grant, LLC

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9781958353394

RATING:
4

AUTHOR LINK:
https://donnagrant.com/

 

 

Derek is an unknown Dragon King. He does Villette’s bidding in hopes she will free his kin from captivity. Derek encounters Kora in the forest while being chased by soldiers. He reluctantly agrees to help sneak her into Stonemore, Villette’s domain. The city, and Kora, causes Derek to question his loyalty to his benefactor. Will he learn the truth about his background? Who will Derek choose? Kora? Villette? And at what cost?

Kora is the last of her kind on Zora. She intends to finish what her family had started: finding Villette and killing her. Kora stumbles upon Derek in the forest. Something about the man draws her to him. Kora does not trust him, but he knows a way to get into Stonemore. Kora finds herself depending on Derek more than she likes. Will she finally achieve her vengeance? At what cost? And what secrets is Derek keeping from Kora?

Derek rubbed me the wrong way at the start of the story. I did not care for his personality. However, I started to warm up to him as the story progressed. He redeemed himself by his actions with Kora. I understand Derek’s reasons for keeping his secrets from Kora. He and Kora had trust issues. Then there is the fact of her traumatic issues with dragons.

I am still undecided about Kora. I neither liked her nor disliked her. She just did not click for me. Whenever I read her name, the main character of Avatar: The Legend of Korra came to mind. And no, I am not a fan of the cartoon, but my husband and sons are. Why I am somewhat familiar with it. I admire Kora’s determination to finish what her family started. Guilt can be a powerful motivator.

THE BASTARD KING is the first book in Donna Grant’s fantasy-romance duology, THE BASTARD DUOLOGY. Important note to new readers: this takes place in the same world/universe of the author’s DARK KINGS and DRAGON KINGS series. Characters from the prior books do pop up in this story, some are merely mentioned. I recommend starting from the beginning (DARK KINGS) or the first book in the DRAGON KINGS. The latter series introduces Zora, why it was created, etc.

Donna Grant introduces a new race in this book. The hellhound angle just did not work for me. I would have liked it more if Kora was a unicorn or phoenix (especially this one). It would have made more sense on why they had the ability to destroy Star People. That is just me though. I can be nitpicky on such things. However, I did like the fact that hellhounds are like the dragon kings. They can shape shift into human forms.

Again, I skimmed over or skipped the sex scenes. They just felt irrelevant to the story’s pacing.


No comments: