Saturday, August 29, 2026

Review for Kotora Aoshima's "FAN/GIRL X CALL/BOY, Volume 1"

 

FAN/GIRL x CALL/BOY, Volume One
Romance, Slice of Life, Otaku

 

 

 

AUTHOR:
Kotora Aoshima

RELEASE DATE:
October 20, 2026

PUBLISHER:
Kodansha Comics

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9798888778463

RATING:
5

 

 

Sakurako is an anxious shut-in otaku with zero romantic experience. She wants to experience something her favorite game character did, so she hires an escort service. When Sakurako trips, and accidentally reveals her favorite game, she discovers her call boy is an otaku kindred spirit. Rather than having sex, they spend the night playing their favorite erotic game. And the start of their unlikely friendship is born.

Fuji is a stylish, smooth-talking call boy working for an escort service. After seeing Sakurako’s room, he senses she is not truly interested in sex. When an accident reveals her favorite game – one that he too enjoys – Fuji begins to understand what she really wants. Something about the anxious woman makes him want to become friends with her. They spend the evening geeking out and playing their favorite erotic game.

I could not help but like Sakurako instantly. She does not know how to react around people and situations (she’s socially awkward). In some ways I can identify. I go through moments when I suffer the same – my case is not as bad as hers. So, I understand why Sakurako finds solace in her fandom. I do have questions about her family. Where are they? Why are they never present? Will we discover more about them in further volumes. Sakurako’s character design reminds me of Natsuko Hirose, the main character in the anime Zenshu. It nagged at me that she reminded me of someone, until I remembered who.

Fuji is such a sweetheart! His outgoing personality nicely balances Sakurako’s introversion. I like that he never takes advantage of her. Fuji quickly catches on to what she is seeking and tells her she will not find it through call boys. In some of the panels, he comes across as protective. I like how his presence helps Sakurako become less timid. He does not pressure her but gently and patiently encourages her. I cannot wait to learn more about Fuji’s home situation, especially his brothers.

This manga surprised me – in a good way! I picked it up because the description stated it was perfect for fans of WOTAKOI: LOVE IS HARD FOR OTAKU. I absolutely love that manga and the animation adaptation they made – though I am still disappointed the anime never received a US DVD release or had merch. I admit, I was skeptical going in. However, within a few pages, I was hooked. The characters are likable, and the story is sweet, cute, and wholesome.

I cannot wait for its release so I can add it, and future volumes, to my collection. I would not object if they decide to do an anime adaptation to this title.


No comments: