Monday, August 31, 2026

Review for Sherrilyn Kenyon/Kinley MacGregor's "THE CHAMPION"

 

THE CHAMPION
Historical Romance

 

 

 

AUTHOR:
Sherrilyn Kenyon (aka Kinley MacGregor)

RELEASE DATE:
September 08, 2026

PUBLISHER:
Oliver Heber Books

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
B0H8Y6Q688

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://www.sherrilynkenyon.com/

 

 

Stryder of Blackmoor is the undisputed leader of The Brotherhood of the Sword – a group of men who escaped Saracen imprisonment and rescued others in the same plight. He has no desire to marry and zero love for minstrels. When the king arranges his marriage to Rowena, Stryder’s only escape is to win the troubadour contest. Yet danger and death repeatedly draw them together. Who is the enemy shadowing Stryder’s every move? And will Rowena change his stance on marriage and minstrels?

Rowena de Vitry is an heiress with vast holdings in southern England. Her open disdain for knights has earned her little regard among her peers. When the king orders her to marry Stryder, who is equally opposed to the match, Rowena must depend on him to win the troubadour contest. She soon becomes caught in the danger surrounding Stryder and his men. Can she help him uncover the assassins hunting him? And will her opinions on knights change?

Stryder is a man haunted by his parents’ loveless union and his time imprisoned. I understand his reluctance to marry and dislike of minstrels. He did not exactly have good role models growing up. I adore how Stryder took a traumatic time and turned it into a life’s mission: to free others from the same fate and help them rebuild and heal. What I admire the most about Stryder is his acceptance of his brother Kit. He refuses to allow anyone to hurt or belittle him.

It took me a while to warm to Rowena. I understand her resentment and dislike toward warfare and knights. Both contributed to her father’s death. I sympathize with Rowen on how her peers treated her. She never realized, until Stryder, the enmity she garnered for her stance against knights. What I like the most about Rowena is her refusal to let Stryder remain alone in a cell. After learning about his ordeal in the Holy Lands, she understood the effect it would have on him.

THE CHAMPION is the fifth book in Sherrilyn Kenyon’s historical romance series, A BROTHERHOOD OF THE SWORD. Originally released in 2004 by Avon as A DARK CHAMPION and written under the author’s other alias, Kinley MacGregor. Sherrilyn has re-published the series (save for one novella) with different covers and new titles.

Technically, this was a re-read for me. I first read the story when it was released twenty-two years ago, but I had forgotten much of what happened. In many ways, it felt like I was reading it for the first time.

I do have one question (gripe really). Why was Simon’s novella, MIDSUMMER’S KNIGHT, not re-published like the others? It is the only story in the series I have not read.


No comments: