Friday, July 31, 2020

Review of BY BLOOD AND MAGIC by Jamie A Waters

Sabine is a Fae trying to stay alive by alluding her family. She must find and collect certain artifacts to keep the dragon portal from re-opening. Sabine’s travels bring her and her friends to the high seas. When their ship is attacked by Merfolk, and her friends taken prisoner, she agrees to find their missing kinswomen. However, Sabine’s latest mission comes with a time limit. She travels to the desert with only a shape-changing dragon and pixie. Will Sabine find the Merfolk’s missing kinswoman?

Malek is a shape-changing dragon. He assists Sabine in collecting the artifacts needed to keep the portal closed. When his ship is waylaid by hostile Merpeople, Malek has no other choice but to accompany Sabine on her newest mission. The trio stumble upon dark and dangerous secrets in the desert. Will Malek be strong enough to keep Sabine safe?

I found Sabine fascinating! She is a Fae being hunted by her people. I admire how Sabine’s quick to educate others on Fae’s practices. She does not give away their secrets; instead, she imparts helpful ways for non-Faes to protect themselves against her people. I love how Sabine is able to admit her shortcomings and vulnerabilities. She is well aware of her strengths and weaknesses. What I like the most about Sabine is her protectiveness towards her friends. She refuses to allow any of them to suffer. If she could help, even sacrifice something, Sabine will do it to help or protect her friends.

Malek is such a dream. But, then again, I have a thing for dragons! I cannot wait to learn more about his secrets. I adore Malek’s consideration and patience with Sabine. He may be curious about her and her secrets, but he never once pried into her privacy. Instead, Malek patiently waited for Sabine to feel comfortable enough to confide in him.

BY BLOOD AND MAGIC is book two in Jamie A. Waters’ fantasy series, THE DRAGON PORTAL. I have not read the first book, so I have missed a great deal of the world-building and backstory. However, that did not hinder my ability to follow the story’s plot or the characters’ dynamics. The author does a great job of summarizing the important parts of the first story.

I have to say this story totally satisfied my high-fantasy needs. I wish there were more books in this genre. The characters kind of reminds me of my old role playing characters – the diversity of species races and such.

No comments: