Friday, February 5, 2021

The Queen's Weapons (Anne Bishop) REVIEW


 Ratings: 4

History has this strange habit of repeating itself. However, there are some who want to keep that from happening again.


The story centers on Daemonar Yaslana – Lucivar’s firstborn – transitioning into a Warlord Prince. He has the promise to be just as deadly as his father and uncle. However, the new taint in their world puts him to the test.


It also focuses on Jaenelle Saetien – Daemon and Surreal’s daughter. For most of the book, I really could not stand her, which disappointed me. I had such high hopes for her character because A) she’s Daemon’s daughter and B) She bears the name Jaenelle.


I understand some of her reasons for acting out. It is always difficult and stressful living in another’s shadow. She just wanted something only she stood out on. Unfortunately, Jaenelle the Second chose the wrong path. Though, my feelings towards her started to change when she reformed on her own. I wish Witch would have interacted with the girl more. In some ways, I understand why she did not.

I really did not care for Zoey’s character. She came across as "too perfect" or "too good". It just felt like she was a watered down Jaenelle Angelline. So she fell flat with me. She annoyed me just as much as Jaenelle the Second.


Daemon made the book for me. His behavior reminded me of the first trilogy. He is just as sensual and deadly as his younger years, with a little more bite. It still jarred me that he and Surreal are married. I could never back that pairing. I feel Surreal got the short end on that. She deserved someone to love her whole heartedly.


Asides the few nitpicks, the book really captured me. I stayed up long into the night to read more, even knowing I had work in the morning. I just had to find out what happened.

No comments: