Sunday, September 11, 2022

Review of Jennifer Roberson's SWORD-BEARER

Rating: 5 

Sandtiger – Tiger to many – is a legendary Southron sword-dancer. Delilah – Del- is his Northern sword-singer lover. They have retired from their adventuring to raise their daughter and to teach the new generation of sword-dancers. Tiger wakes one morning to discover snow in the deserty south, and he feels magic behind the odd weather. He and Del, along with his adult son and two students, embark on journey to find the one responsible. Destructive weather, challenges to death-dances, and a Northerner bandit plague their trip.

SWORD-BEARER is book eight in Jennifer Roberson’s fantasy series, TIGER AND DEL. I would suggest new readers to start from the beginning before picking up this book. The prior books set up the author’s vivid and vastly interesting world, especially about the intricacy of sword-dancing and sword-singing. They also show all the hardships and trials Del and Tiger had to overcome.

I could not contain myself when I saw this title available for review. I am beyond happy that the author decided to return to this world. I never realized just how much I missed the characters, especially Del and Tiger, and the intricate world. I cannot wait for further adventures with Sandtiger and Del!

I do not read very many first-person books anymore, so it took me a while to adjust. It did not take away from the experience. Fans of this series remember that the prior seven books, along with the author’s CHEYSULI books, are written that way too.

No comments: