Wednesday, May 1, 2024

My review for Ella Quinn's THE GROOM LIST

 

THE GROOM LIST
Historical Romance

 

 

AUTHOR:
Ella Quinn

RELEASE DATE:
June 25, 2024

PUBLISHER:
Zebra

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9781420154511

RATING:
2 1/2

AUTHOR LINK:
https://www.ellaquinnauthor.com/

 

 

Gifford (Giff), The Marquis of St. Albans wants more responsibilities. However, he first needs to wed before his ducal father will allow it. Giff encounters a beautiful woman while on a horse ride in the park. The woman is everything he desires in a wife, yet she rebuffs his suit. If Giff wants to win her hand, he first needs to re-think his strategy. Can he persuade Alice to be his wife? Or will someone else steal her away first?

Lady Alice Carpenter has a list of traits suitors must possess to court her. She happens upon a handsome stranger on her daily morning ride. After being in his company, Alice decides St. Albans is not suitable, but he refuses to take ‘no’ for an answer. However, Alice’s opinion of Giff changes. She starts to see the true person beneath the attractive veneer. Will Alice cast aside her list of requirements? Or will the choice be taken away from her?

I had a rough time connecting (or liking) Alice and Giff. Which is sad because Alice’s name holds such sentimental value to me. It is the reason I decided to give this book a try. Her personality really grated on my nerves for some reason. Giff came off as too self-absorbed and shallow for my tastes. He did rely on his connections a lot.

THE GROOM LIST is the third book in Ella Quinn’s historical romance series, THE WORTHINGTON BRIDES. This is my first time reading anything from this author. Sadly, her writing style is not for me. I just had a rough time getting into the story or the characters.

There were too many side characters introduced at the start of the book. It muddied the pacing and confused the heck out of me. I thought they had no real purpose in the scene or plot. The last half of the book went by rather quickly. However, the ending felt like it dragged on and on. I would have liked it better if the story ended after dealing with the nemesis.


No comments: