Tuesday, October 6, 2026

Review for Shana Galen's "A LONDON CRIME LORD TAKES A BRIDE"

 

A LONDON CRIME LORD TAKES A BRIDE
Historical Romance

 


AUTHOR:
Shana Galen

RELEASE DATE:
March 23, 2027

PUBLISHER:
Berkley Publishing

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9798217188536

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://shanagalen.com/

 

 

Charity Claremont is the twenty-eight-year-old spinster of a viscount. She discovers that her mother has sold her hand in marriage to the infamous crime lord, Baron of Blackfriars. With homelessness as her only alternative, Charity accepts the arrangement. Her new husband is nothing like the man portrayed in the papers. She understands why Trig married her; she also knows the ton will never fully accept him. Can Charity adapt to her new life?

Trig Blackfriars is known throughout London as the notorious crime lord Baron of Blackfriar. He strives for respectability – and marrying into the peerage is the key to achieve that. When Charity’s mother seeks him for financial support, Trig agrees on one condition: her daughter’s hand in marriage. He never expects his bride to captivate him. When his rival threatens everything he has built or loved, Trig is determined to protect Charity at any cost. Will he achieve the respectability he desires?

The entire story is written solely from Charity’s point-of-view. So, readers gain insight into her thoughts, perceptions and feelings. I dislike the childhood Charity’s parents forced upon her – her father’s mistreatment and her mother’s indifference. Honestly, I feel she should cut her mother completely out of her life. What I like the most about Charity is that she never looked down on Trig or acted superior. She treated him as she would anyone else. There were no class distinctions between them.

What is there not to like about Trig? Through sheer grit and determination, he rose from the butter to become a wealthy businessman. I love that, before they married, Trig informed Charity she would always have a choice with him. Something her father and everyone else in her life had denied her. What I adore the most about Trig is that he gave Charity a library. That is every modern bookworm’s dream. Best of all, Trig refused to restrict what she read like most men in that era.

A LONDON CRIME LORD TAKES A BRIDE is the first book in Shana Galen’s brand-new historical romance series, MONKS OF BLACKFRIARS. This is the second book I have read by this author, and I enjoyed it like the first. It did take me some time to adjust to the first-person perspective. I have no issue with that style, although I do know some readers who do. Some of my favorite books are written in it, such as Susan Kay’s PHANTOM and Jenniferson Roberson’s CHRONICLES OF THE CHEYSULI series.

The lengthy title is what first caught my attention on Netgalley. And the synopsis convinced me to give the book a try. I enjoy stories that feature gaming clubs and crime lords. They offer a nice change-of-pace than the usual personages in haut ton. I love the “nod” to A SHOPE GIRL’S GUIDE TO WOOING A LORD, the first book in the author’s THE HEIRESS HUNTER series.

I cannot wait for new releases for both series!

 


No comments: