Thursday, January 10, 2013

eARC of Colleen Gleason's A Lily on the Heath Review



Expect this book on
January 15, 2013




















My review:

My way of reviewing is a tad “different” than others.  Instead of waiting until I read the book through then write up my thoughts, feelings, and opinions, I like to stop at intervals.  This better records my thoughts as I have them.

A Lily on the Heath is actually my second foray with Colleen Gleason’s books.  I had read one of her vampire books years back.  Kris Kennedy had a contest for her street team members and I won the chance.

It has been a while since I read a historical. So 7% in and it is evident that the hero and heroine had known each other once.  And the two were more acquaintances than friends or close.  Sort of like a new bent to the reuniting theme…

So far I have not read enough on either Judith or Malcolm to form an opinion.  Though, the beginning scene does sort of show bits of Judith’s character. More in the way she deals with her Queen, behaving more out of necessity than a mindless sycophant.  

29% in…. Judith and Malcolm’s characters, quirks, and personality are defined.  Though she is close to the Queen Judith does not use the advantage like some would.  She knows her place in life and court but does not let it go to her head or reveals in it. Also she stands out among the ladies.  One aspect makes her stand out among the rest of the nobility.

So glad she is not the simpering, weak-willed type.  I like that she thinks for herself.

Malcolm…  though not crazy about his view on a wife’s uses, so I hope his views would change further in the book… He’s strong and alpha but is not arrogant about it. Quick to help the underdog from a squire to saving damsels in distress (in trees especially)

Though I am sensing an undercurrent…  especially in the attention Judith garnered.  The attention would not do her good especially in her standing and duties.

41% in …  The heroine has my sympathy for what she must endure. Had my hopes that something would intervene, would save her from that part in her life.  It really doesn’t sit well with me honestly. I had hoped the hero would figure a way to thwart it…

63% -  Absolutely love how Malcolm took care of the situation Judith landed in.  Mm, he so reminds me of the metaphor “knight in shining armor”. My opinion and thoughts of him notched higher.  Though what he planned could garner his death he did it in a way that spoke of his honor and character.

Since it had been some time since I read a historical romance, took me but a moment to get use to the speech patterns and assimilate to the time period.  Minor characters in the tale told me that this is in a series but stands alone – which I was correct.

The side little romance of two more minor characters lent the story a bit more.

The heroine’s misunderstanding did wear on me.  I had wished for a little more interaction between Judith and Violet. Just felt that bonding was missing.  Sometimes a child in a story can really do good for the plot and storyline.

Other than that I enjoyed the story. It was a great break from the paranormals and romantic suspenses that I have found myself reading of late.

 
Four Shillelagh
 

No comments: