Friday, March 17, 2023

Review: Mary Burton's THE HOUSE BEYOND THE DUNES

 

THE HOUSE BEYOND THE DUNES

Thriller; Suspense

AUTHOR:
Mary Burton

RELEASE DATE:
September 05, 2023

PUBLISHER:
Montlake

ISBN / ASIN NUMBER :
9781542038676

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK: https://www.maryburton.com/

 

 

Lane McCord wakes up in the hospital, only to discover her new boyfriend died in an unfortunate accident. She cannot remember key points leading to the disastrous fall. Lane hopes to reclaim her missing memories by returning to the cottage. However, she starts receiving mysterious texts containing a missing woman’s diary. Lane realizes there is more to her boyfriend Kyle than he let on. Will Lane discover what exactly happened at the cottage? And who can she trust? The detective who keeps hounding her? Or the handsome carpenter next door?

It took me a while to connect with Lane. Lane spent most of her crummy childhood in foster care. It has taught her not to attract unnecessary attention or scrutiny. What I admire the most about Lane is how she helps teenage girls who were like her. They are the reason she works so hard to earn her PhD.

THE HOUSE BEYOND THE DUNES is a standalone thriller by Mary Burton. I have read a title or two from this author before, so I knew Burton focuses more on the suspense element than romance.

I would say this story had zero romance. I honestly did not know who the heroine would end up with until the end. There were hints that something could develop, but it was not focused on. Personally? I did not mind. The plot gripped me that I forgot I found this title in the romance section of Netgalley.


No comments: