Sunday, March 19, 2023

Review: Michelle McLean's FOUR WEDDINGS AND A DUKE

 

FOUR WEDDINGS AND A DUKE

Historical Romance

AUTHOR:
Michelle McLean

RELEASE DATE:
May 23, 2023

PUBLISHER:
Entangled Publishing, LLC

ISBN / ASIN NUMBER :
9781649373304

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://michellemcleanbooks.com/

 

 Alexander “Alex” Reddington, the Duke of Baeubrooke, is a scholar and botanist. He has no interest in the ton’s social events or activities. All Alex wants to do is work on his botanical projects. He happens to sit next to a fascinating bespectacled wallflower at his cousin’s wedding. Despite Alex’s interest in the woman, duty mandates he marry one of the Wynnburn sisters. He soon learns that his book-loving wallflower is one of them. Will Lavinia interfere with Alex’s botanical research? Or will he discover she is much more important than his plants?

Lavinia Wynnburn is the middle daughter of a rich earl. She is used to being overshadowed by her popular and beautiful sisters. Lavinia prefers spending her time reading than socializing with her peers. She meets Alexander by chance when he seats himself next to her at a wedding. Lavinia knows she is ill-equipped to being a duchess. However, she is surprised and delighted when Alex chooses her. Can Lavinia adapt to her new station in life? Will she be everything Alex needs in a wife and duchess? Or will Lavinia cause even more trouble for Alex?

Alex easily won me over. I like that he is not your normal, run-of-the-mills kind of duke. Alex is an eccentric, who prefers his scholarly pursuits and his plants than intermingling with his peers or their frivolous pastimes. What I adore the most about Alex is how he encouraged Livinia to wear her glasses, despite it being unfashionable. Alex cared more about her ability to see than their peer’s views on what is fashionable.

Lavinia is a woman I easily identified with. I know how wretched it feels being overlooked and/or forgotten by others. It is NOT a pleasant feeling. What I admire the most about Lavinia is how she tried to adapt to her new station in life. She knew that she was in unchartered waters, but that did not stop Lavinia from doing her best. Also, by going outside her comfort zone, Lavinia did learn new and interesting things about herself.

FOUR WEDDINGS AND A DUKE is a standalone historical / regency romance by Michelle McLean. I am new to this author’s works. The book’s title and synopsis caught my attention. It sounded like something I would enjoy. It did NOT disappoint me! I found myself entrenched in the plot and characters. I literally finished this story in two settings. I just did not want to put it down until I finished it.

I hope McLean considers writing a happily-ever-after for Kitty, Georgina, and Nigel. I admit, secretly, I hoped Nigel would have ended up with Georgie, just to continually irk his rival, Alex. I am definitely interested in reading McLean’s backlist.


No comments: