Wednesday, September 27, 2023

Review for Christi Caldwell's THE DIAMOND AND THE DUKE

 

THE DIAMOND AND THE DUKE
Historical Romance

 

 

AUTHOR:
Christi Caldwell

RELEASE DATE:
February 20, 2024

PUBLISHER:
Berkley Publishing Group

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9780593334959

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
http://christicaldwell.com/

 

 

Lady Eleanor “Ellie” Balfour plans to never marry. She has her reasons for becoming a spinster, one she does not wish to share with anyone. There is one man who could possibly change Ellie’s m ind about matrimony. However, he is a man embittered and ravaged by war. She refuses to allow Wesley’s surliness to thwart her intentions of helping him heal. Can Ellie give Wesley a reason to live? Will she reveal why she is so averse to marriage?

Captain Wesley Audley returns from the Napoleonic War a broken shell of a man. He wants nothing more than to isolate himself from the world, including his family. There is, however, one person who refuses to allow Wesley to molder away in depression. Ellie Balfour is no longer the little girl he remembers from the past, but a woman grown. With Ellie’s help, can Wesley learn to cope with his injuries?

Ellie is my favorite Balfour. She made DESPERATELY SEEKING A DUCHESS entertaining to read. I could not request this book fast enough, once I found out it was her story! I respect Ellie’s decision not to marry. After years of enduring her father’s abuse, she did not want to exchange one for another. Women had no rights in that time-period. What I adore the most about Ellie is how she refused to allow Wesley to wallow in darkness. She never once treated him as an invalid but as a whole person.

I have always been a sucker for the wounded and tortured types.  And Wesley did not disappoint me! I like how the author did not miraculous “cure” or “heal” him. Instead, we witness his slow journey of acceptance and healing. How it sometimes takes a kindred soul to help another confront their mental demons and heal. Wesley needed that.

THE DIAMOND AND THE DUKE is the third book in Christi Caldwell’s historical romance series, ALL THE DUKE’S SINS. I recommend reading this series in proper order. Yeah, the story can standalone. However, the first two explain the Audley family history and dynamics. The second book introduces the Balfours and their family circumstances. Plus, the couples from the prior books pop up throughout the story. I like that we get to meet Rafe and Edwina and Cailin and Courtland’s children.

I cannot wait to see who Hattie’s mystery love is? And Hunter is the last unmarried Audley. I wonder if the author plans to pair them together or someone entirely new for both. I am cool either way. Also, I hope Keir Balfour gets a book too!

My only nitpick. I have grown attached to the Balfours. I wanted each sibling to have their own book, a spinoff series. They, the Balfours, deserve a happy-ever-after. So, I was bummed to learn that Lottie married.


No comments: