Thursday, February 8, 2024

My review for Charis Michaels' THE PRINCE'S BRIDE

 

THE PRINCE’S BRIDE
Historical Romance

 

  

AUTHOR:
Charis Michaels

RELEASE DATE:
May 21, 2024

PUBLISHER:
Avon and Harper Voyager, Avon

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9780063280106

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://charismichaels.com/

 

 

Lady Marianne “Ryan” Daventry desperately needs to find her missing betrothed – an exiled French Prince believed to be dead. She follows the only clue left her: an old letter postmarked near an ancient, spooky forest. Ryan finds herself rescued by a gruff and reclusive horse trainer, only to discover he is the prince she is searching for. However, Gabriel is reluctant to help Ryan escape his cousin’s evil machinations. Can Ryan convince Gabriel to leave the safety of his forest home? Or will she be forced to find another way to save her home and her sisters?

Gabriel Reign purposely abandoned his royal persona. He now lives a modest life in the middle of the forest working with horses. However, his solitary life is turned upside down when Gabriel rescues a woman from highwaymen. The lady turns out to be his childhood betrothed. Gabriel empathizes with Ryan’s plight, but he fears leaving the safety of the forest. Can Gabriel find the courage to step out of his comfort zone? Will he willingly assume his old role to protect Ryan?

Ryan surprised me in a delightfully good way. She is a woman who knows her limitations and accepts them. I admire Ryan’s inner strength. She would do anything to protect her home and sisters from a self-absorbed jerk. Ryan even dared to travel alone without protection. What I liked the most about Ryan is her acceptance of Gabriel’s fear. She understood his reluctance to leave the forest; she did not berate him but empathized with him.

I admit I have a weakness for any hero who shares my youngest son’s name (lol). Even better when that hero is a wounded or tortured type. Gabriel totally tugged on my heartstrings. He is a survival, one who has endured such heartrending ordeals. I understand Gabriel’s reasons for becoming a recluse living in the forest. The author did a good job showing the effects of his trauma. And I like that Gabriel was not instantly “cured”. Every milestone he faced was a trial for him.

I am new to this author’s works. Sadly, I did not read the first book (SAY YES TO THE PRINCESS). I remember looking at it, intrigued by the synopsis but my review queue was full at the time. My loss, one that I hope to remedy soon.

However, that aside, it did not hinder my ability to follow and enjoy the story. The book can easily stand alone. Elise and Killian, the couple from the first book, play a vital role in the second half of the story. I am anticipating the next (and final) installment!


No comments: