Monday, July 17, 2023

Review for Sara Bennett's DREAM OF A DUKE LIKE YOU

 

DREAMING OF A DUKE LIKE YOU
Historical Romance



AUTHOR:
Sara Bennett

RELEASE DATE:
October 10, 2023

PUBLISHER:
Forever (Grand Central Publishing)

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9781538723814

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://sara-bennett.com/

 

 


Gabriel Cadieux owns a profitable gaming establishment in London. He receives news that he is the heir to a debt-ridden dukedom and guardian to six sisters. Gabriel grudgingly accepts his new responsibilities. However, he needs to find someone who can help his siblings integrate within Polite Society. Gabriel believes Vivienne Tremeer will be perfect for the job. She is perfect for his sisters but wrong for him. Which will Gabriel choose? His responsibilities? Or his heart?

Vivienne Tremeer is the daughter of a baronet. When her brother loses at gambling, and has no way to pay, she approaches Gabriel to forgive his debt. Instead, the infuriating man offers Vivienne a deal – if she agrees to teach his sisters how to navigate the ton, he will clear the debt owed. She never expected to fall in love with him. However, Vivienne knows her blemished reputation is wrong for Gabriel’s family. Will Vivienne do the right thing by giving Gabriel up?

It is always fun for me when I see a hero share my youngest son’s name. Other mothers may find it uncomfortable or unnerving, but not me. And no, I did not name my son after a book character (my husband forbade it. Lol). I could not help but love Cadieux. He started out with nothing, a boy from a foundling home, who managed to turn his situation around by a game of chance. I like how Gabriel never forgot his two childhood friends, also from the same foundling home. He included them in his new life, both as a gaming hell owner and then later as a duke. What I adore the most about Gabriel is his hobby. He likes to read… and not what others would expect. Gabriel likes reading romance books, a first for me.

I could not help but empathize with Vivienne. She always put her loved ones’ needs before her own while dealing with her own worries and troubles. I admire Vivienne’s willingness to take action to protect her brother’s future. She had limits on what she was willing to do. Even when things looked bleak or helpless, Vivienne never considered debasing herself. What I like the most about Vivienne is that she never treated Gabriel like an outsider. She understood him better than their peers ever would.

DREAMING OF A DUKE LIKE YOU is the first book in Sara Bennett’s historical romance series, DUKE OF GRANTHAM. I am new to this author’s works. The story’s premise is what interested me. I have a fondness for the “gaming hell owner” angle in historical romances. Some of my all-time favorite stories have that aspect in them. I cannot wait to read further books in this series.

Nitpicks, I do have a few. One, Vivienne and Will’s stepfather. I believe that could have been touched on further. Honestly, I anticipated him being Gabriel’s final roadblock to deal with. Instead, it feels like the entire situation fell between the cracks, forgotten. Unless the author plans to save that for Will’s story.

The second one is Longley’s character. I understand he is Gabriel’s nemesis. He seemed to only come out to cause some tension or problem for Gabriel, only to melt back into the background. Nothing more is done with him, no final confrontation, nothing. I wonder, like above, if the author plans to use Longley for Charles’ book, which makes sense.


No comments: