Thursday, July 13, 2023

Review: Sophie Jordan's The Duke Starts a Scandal

 

THE DUKE STARTS A SCANDAL
Historical Romance

 

AUTHOR:
Sophie Jordan

RELEASE DATE:
October 24, 2023

PUBLISHER:
Avon and Harper Voyager

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9780063035751

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://www.sophiejordan.net/

 

 

Lucian Ross is the newest Duke of Penning, a role he intends to take seriously. He hopes his peers never learn about his sordid past, so Lucian hosts a week-long party to secure respectable, aristocratic spouses for him and his sisters. However, his young housekeeper proves to be a distraction. The termagant entices his dark desires. Will Lucian tempt exposure and scandal to have her?

Susanna Lockhart works as the housekeeper at Penning Hall, a position she excels at. There is something about her newest employer unsettles her. With her position on the line, Susanna strives to prove her worth to him. She never anticipated the attraction brewing between them. However, Lucian’s house party brings someone that could expose Susanna’s own past and destroy her. Can Susanna resist Lucian?

Lucian slowly won me over. At first, I did not like his personality. However, as I learned Lucian’s background, the many sacrifices he made for his sisters, my opinion quickly changed. I admit that it is a nice change-of-pace for the hero to have the “sordid” past. What I love the most about Lucian is his refusal to abuse the employer-and-employee relationship. It is a line he refused to cross no matter what.

Susanna is a woman who knows her place in a noble’s household. I like how she has no lofty aspirations. Susanna is quite proud of her accomplishments. She started out as a maid and slowly worked up the servant hierarchy to become Penning Hall’s housekeeper. What I admire the most about Susanna is how she refused to submit to her enemy’s threats. She rather her past be exposed than subjugate herself to him.

THE DUKE STARTS A SCANDAL is the fourth book in Sophie Jordan’s historical romance series, THE DUKE HUNT. The story can easily stand alone. I suggest reading the first book, THE DUKE GOES DOWN, to understand how the dukedom landed in Lucian’s hands. One of the nitpicks I have is that I wanted Lucian and Peregrine to meet.

I really enjoyed this book. It ties with THE RAKE GETS RAVISHED, book two in the series, of being my favorite. I stayed up late to read as much as I could (hence why I finished this book in two days). Another nitpick (small) I have is that I wished the couples from the previous books would have made an appearance in the plot. I missed them.


No comments: