Thursday, July 20, 2023

Review: Vivienne Lorret's IT HAD TO BE A DUKE

 

IT HAD TO BE A DUKE
Historical Romance


 

AUTHOR:
Vivienne Lorret

RELEASE DATE:
November 28, 2023

PUBLISHER:
Avon and Harper Voyager

ISBN/ ASIN NUMBER :
9780063143128

RATING:
4.5

AUTHOR LINK:
https://vivlorret.net/




 

Magnus Warring, the fifth Duke of Longhurst, needs to marry an heiress. He nearly succeeds, only to learn of a rumor circulating that he is already betrothed to his enemy’s daughter. Magnus wants to confront the culprit and have her recant her ludicrous lie. Verity annoys him like no other, but he finds that he cannot erase her completely from his thoughts. Can Magnus ignore the enmity between their families?

Verity Hartley is the oldest daughter of a baron. She considers herself the odd duck in her family. To get back at her spiteful nemesis, Verity claims to be betrothed to the Duke of Longhurst. She never expected her little lie would reach the man’s ear, or that he would show up at her hamlet home. Magnus’s vexing attitude brings out the worst of Verity. Yet, she cannot seem to exorcise him from her mind. Will Verity’s falsehood become truth?

Mmm, Magnus. I have a weakness for the grumpy and overly serious hero types. Magnus is a straight shooter. He detests lies and deceit. I found it fun that he became an unwilling participate in one (not of his making of course). What I like the most about Magnus is that he is unlike other dukes. Instead of gambling, borrowing, or selling things off to keep his estate from ruin, he chose to work alongside his tenants.

I could not help but like Verity. She does not really fit in with her family nor does she share their passion for the thespian arts – something she accepted long ago. I like that Verity is plagued by self-esteem issues. This makes her relatable to me. Now there was a time or two when her insecurities, especially about her age, got annoying.

IT HAD TO BE A DUKE is the first book in Vivienne Lorret’s historical romance series, THE LIAR’S CLUB. Enemies-to-lovers trope. I am new to this author’s works. The book’s synopsis is what interested me to give the story a try. I love a good enemies-to-lovers tale. I found the storyline fun and engaging.

I plan to be reading further books in this series. I have a feeling Honoria’s story will pick up where this one ended. I cannot wait! Plus, I want Rowan and Anna’s story. And Truman! He deserves a happy-ever-after. I hope his story is not a second chance; it’s my least favorite trope.


No comments: